Sunday, October 24, 2010

"With My Sidekicks, Rockin' Fly Kicks": What are the greatest Air Jordans ever made?

Audacious as it is for my first ever blog post to be a "Greatest of All Time" list, a precedence must be set. I, like so many basketball fans, am a sneaker enthusiast. I don't claim to possess an unrivaled knowledge of the art form; however, I can still boil with envy from time to time at the sight of a sick pair of sneaks, and my opinions remain strong as oak. That said, let's take a look at the most prolific series of athletic foot wear ever created. 


Air Jordan I (1985)

Setting a precedence of its own, the Air Jordan I was originally banned by the NBA for its use of multiple colors. Arguably the most emulated high-top of all time, this shoe is an automatic favorite.



Air Jordan II (1986)

Perhaps the most underrated kicks in the series, the AJ IIs employ a more square, boating shoe/high-top design. Unfortunately, this particular aesthetic is not evident in many of the shoe's successors. 
They were the only Jordan sneakers to not be issued in a black version, and their stand-alone qualities make them a personal favorite. 



Air Jordan VII (1991)

The seventh design in the series is clearly a descendant of the original Air Jordan I. At this point the shoes began to take on a more futuristic appearance. Sexy and yet still somehow conservative, what really makes this pair of sneaks hot is that they were not originally released with Jordan's jersey number 23 printed on them, but the number 9: his Olympic "Dream" Team number. 



Air Jordans XV, XVI, and XIX (1999-2004)

During the "teen" years of the Air Jordan series, the look of the shoes became extremely futuristic, even to the point of gaudy. These three styles in particular exemplify the presumptuous futurism of Air Jordan during the late 90s and early 2000s. Laces and velcro were dubbed relics, as these shoes took on magnets, metal, and a great deal of patent leather. Ridley Scott's Alien is an excellent movie, but I don't want my kicks looking like they can spit acid. These were the Dark Ages of the Air Jordan series. 





Air Jordan '23' (2008)

Given the significance of the number, these were to be an extremely important pair of kicks in the Air Jordan lineage. By this time, the designers were toning things down a bit, and getting their sneaker imaginations back under control. This edition is still a bit eccentric for my taste; however, given the importance of being #23 in a long line of Jordan footwear, I'll cut them some slack. Bonus points as well for making the "jumpman" logo mimic that of Mercedes-Benz.



Air Jordan 2010

They've still got it going on. The newest Air Jordan issue is easily one of my favorites. Mixing the old with the new, these sneaks have an agile appearance that just emanates increased acceleration and lift. It doesn't hurt that these are the first pair released with my man Dwyane Wade in the Air Jordan family either. This pair is definitely in the conversation for best of all time. 




Which are the best? My apologies for all the nasty sneakers that didn't get any face time. The Air Jordan line is just far too full of prodigious footwear to mention them all. That being said, my favorite Jordans of all time would have to be:

The AIR JORDAN I

Maybe I'm old fashioned. Maybe I'm just a lame conservative lacking in vision, but I think the visual ingenious of these kicks is undeniable. They look good with anything, and damn they're comfortable. Speak your mind, if you got beef. 

Love, 
WB





1 comment: